Monday, May 19, 2008

[updated] Aplause for Fedora 9

I'm really impressed by Fedora 9 and here come one of my source of frustration on the previous versions: Java Support and Eclipse.

Until Fedora 8 I needed to install a "thrid party" (the original) Eclipse and Sun's Java to have a decent Java support. I needed to use the original Eclipse because somehow it doesn't wanted to use the Sun's Java, just Gnu Java (which wasn't compatible with Java 1.6). Now Fedora have really flexible Eclipse (3.3.2) with some useful plugins and I can use the Java version that I want. Here comes the hack: I do not need it any more because Gnu Java (ok, openjdk actually) is already Java 1.6 compatible. An amazing step forward to interoperability (at least for me). I still keep the Eclipse "third party" step in my road map, as also Sun's Java, but just because I haven't tried it long enough to discard it (but I'm using the Fedora packages now).

For those of you that want to give a shot:

[update]
Java source included:
java-1.6.0-openjdk-src
java-1.5.0-gcj-src
[update]

Java support:
#---
yum -y install \
gcc-java \
java-1.6.0-openjdk \
java-1.6.0-openjdk-plugin \
java-1.6.0-openjdk-javadoc \
java-1.6.0-openjdk-src \
java-1.5.0-gcj \
java-1.5.0-gcj-devel \
java-1.5.0-gcj-javadoc \
java-1.5.0-gcj-src
#---


Eclipse for Java:
#---
yum -y install \
eclipse-platform \
eclipse-ecj \
eclipse-jdt \
eclipse-cvs-client \
eclipse-subclipse \
eclipse-subclipse-book
#---


For C++ development:
#---
yum -y install \
eclipse-cdt
#---


Mylyn plugin:
#---
yum -y install \
eclipse-mylyn \
eclipse-mylyn-ide \
eclipse-mylyn-java \
eclipse-mylyn-bugzilla \
eclipse-mylyn-trac
#---


A note on the docs, you will find them in:

/usr/share/javadoc/java-1.5.0-gcj/
/usr/share/javadoc/java-1.6.0-openjdk/

2 comments:

Xinerama said...

This comment isn't Java development related. But I wanted to thank you for posting this list of utilities to install (and in a very convenient order) because I can now use RSSOwl withinside Eclipse. Yay!
Thanks again!

Gustavo said...

Have fun and if you have further question, please send me.