Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Webcam security programs

Recently I was looking for webcam security tools, or CCTV if you will, and bumped into Motion and ZoneMinder.

The first is more simple and works like a "home-made"/"semi-pro" tool but you need an extra effort to get it compiled in Fedora 9 (you can get an RPM version here, which did the trick for me).

The ZoneMinder is a lot complexer and has a lot of features. But the documentation (for the new version, which is already on standard Fedora distribution) is poor and did not instruct you so well. I didn't like it very much because you need Apache and MySQL, which I usually do not need. So I preferred the Motion. Just to the sake of it, to install ZoneMinder:

#---
yum -y install zoneminder httpd mysql-server
chkconfig --level 345 httpd on
chkconfig --level 345 mysqld on
chkconfig --level 345 zoneminder on
#---


You need to add, per hand, the MySQL users, passwords, and database (refer to the documentation, I got fed up with it).

As soon as I get experienced with it I will report on that.

No comments: